Thank you Mike Gerken for this amazing image of Ms. Papa doing her thing!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I hosted the first "Young Farmers Potluck" this past Sunday at my place in Mill Creek.  Despite the rainy weather, fun was had by all.  We had about 15 folks show up for good food and conversation.  There are a lot of exciting things happening in Carteret County and my hope is for this group of vibrant folks to continue this tradition of learning and sharing.  We look forward to the next potluck to be hosted by Daniel and Tara in March. 
As for my happenings here at Two Bees Farm... I am about to take off for my second business class at CCC.  Tonight we will be working on our business plans and, I hope, moving one step closer to making this idea a working reality!  The seedlings are doing well.  I topped them off yesterday with worm castings and watered them with a seaweed emulsion.  I'm hoping this will give them the kick they need to grow strong before going in the cold frames.  Speaking of cold frames, the lettuce and chard seem to be doing well.  Not too shabby for my first time growing in frames!  I planted some summer veggie seeds this past week as well.  Tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, herbs, and squash will soon be germinating!  A friend scored about 8 boxes of rotting produce from the local food bank and it is now sitting happily in two of my compost bins.  I'm super excited about the day old baby chicks scheduled to arrive this week.  The brooders are set up and awaiting their arrival.  I can't wait to hear those cute little chirps! 
Fingers crossed for clear skies this weekend.. I'll make another run to the Hibbs Road Transfer Station for compost to add to the new garden area.  The chickens have been eating the leftovers in the garden this week and unfortunately, found my new carrot sprouts.  I'll have to replant them, along with some of the English Peas.  If the soil is dry enough, I'll be tilling in the crimson clover and weeding the new garden beds.  Beehives are about halfway assembled.  I kept my poor brother up with the sound of banging hammer and nails, but the first new hive is completed!  Bees are scheduled to arrive in late March. 
There's a lot going on here and I'm more than excited about the arrival of Spring!  Happy growing to all.

1 comment:

  1. Great news about the new hives - I'll be first in line when you start selling honey!

    ReplyDelete