Thank you Mike Gerken for this amazing image of Ms. Papa doing her thing!

Monday, February 6, 2012



February is a time of transition.  I am currently cleaning out the garden to make way for the new Spring arrivals.  I harvested the last of the broccoli side shoots for a yummy final dish.  In their place, I have planted Sugar Snap Peas and Early English garden peas.  I've also planted onions and carrots and am patiently awaiting their arrival.  The inside seeds have been started (Arugula, Brocolli, Chard, Collards, Kale, Lettuce, and Spinach) and most of them have already germinated!  I also direct seeded lettuce and chard into the new cold frames and will see what happens.  This is my first time using a cold frame and I'm eagerly awaiting the results.  This week I am planning to work on the new garden area.  I've added a layer of wheat straw which will be covered with horse manure and compost.  I'll wait a few weeks and till it all in before planting Summer Alfalfa as a cover crop.  This area won't actually be ready for planting until Fall.  Soil samples have been taken and sent off, and compost piles are being increased.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a successful Spring growing season.  I've got more folks to provide for now and the pressure is on!!! 

2 comments: