Thank you Mike Gerken for this amazing image of Ms. Papa doing her thing!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Farm Life

Days like today make me stop and think about how entertaining things can get around here!  Here are a few samplings of random events on the farm...
  • After getting my ring caught in the chicken tractor/goat pen and having to cut it off, I then lost it.  It was found  in a steaming pile of chicken poo... It's now on my hand. 
  • I was actually excited to get up at 6 on a Saturday morning to go to the market.  I wasn't even selling today.. I just went out to help and enjoy the friendly faces.  I remember the days when a fire alarm was the only thing getting me out of bed that early on a weekend!
  • I discovered a secret egg laying spot.. complete with 45 eggs that can't be sold or eaten. I crushed them up and put them around the plants instead. I almost cried. 
  • I can't actually fit any store bought food in my fridge.  It's now packed with radishes, collards, and other unexpected treats from today.
  • I took "redneck" to a new level today.  I drove the 4 wheeler on the main road down to the neighbors to collect horse manure.  I then drove back down the road with a steaming pile of poo with two flat tires.. with traffic lined up behind me.  At least my hair looked good, right?
Today has been an interesting day to say the least.  I was able to start it out in great company.  The market was so much fun for me, maybe because I got to just sit back, watch, and mingle.  Listening to good music, eating fresh off the farm beef hotdogs, spending time with good friends, and enjoying the beautiful town of Beaufort's not a bad way to start it out.  That bloody mary at Queen Anne's Revenge wasn't bad either!  I end my day with gratitude.  I am thankful for the wonderful people in my life, for good friends, good food, healthy soil, blue skies, and cool breezes.  Happy Memorial Day weekend!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment