Thank you Mike Gerken for this amazing image of Ms. Papa doing her thing!

Monday, March 19, 2012


It's been busy around Two Bees Farm!!  It seems we made a leap straight from winter (a very mild one) to summer!  Temperatures have already reached 80 and it's not even spring yet!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for few bug problems this year in the garden.. We'll see how that works out!  I've been busy moving seedlings around.  The top picture shows lettuce and chard growing in one of the new cold frames.  It seems very happy and indeed, my belly was very happy last night after eating a bit for dinner!  I was so excited to enjoy the first spring veggies!  Beets, carrots, peas, kale, arugula, chard, cabbage, collards, broccoli, potatoes, onions, radishes, leeks, and bok choy are all thriving in the new spring garden.  I'll be transplanting some of my seedlings to bigger pots to include in my first veggie baskets in about two weeks!  I have to be honest, I'm growing a bit nervous about starting up the baskets and hope that I can make my customers happy!

The bees are coming!! I'm scheduled to pick up two boxes of bees this Friday, March 23 and will be placing the ladies in their new hives before dark (I hope!).  I've gone with some new colors on the boxes this year.. I guess I just got bored with plain old white boxes!  I went into my hives this past week and all is well with the ladies.  One hive is down to one box and I had to put a feeder on, but the queen is laying and larvae is developing.  The other hive is doing great.  Numbers are high and the bees are already gathering pollen and nectar.  I'm looking forward to watching their progress! 

The baby chicks are growing like weeds.  I've already moved the Cornish Cross pullets to the outside pen and plan to move them to the chicken tractor later this week.  The others (Speckled Sussex, Brown Leghorns, and Aracaunas) all seem to be doing well but aren't quite big enough to brave the cooler night temps just yet.  The older ladies have amped up egg production as the warmer temperatures settle in. I took 5 dozen to the Beaufort Community Market on Saturday and will probably take about the same amount this week. 

Spring seems to have sprung!  I'll post pictures of the chicks and bees very soon and hope to have another exciting update soon. Happy Growing!
t

No comments:

Post a Comment